Friday, December 24, 2010

Review - Grip Puppies



The MV Agusta has a high frequency buzz that is invasive at certain rpm. All inline fours I have ridden buzz a certain amount as V-twins all seem to pulse and shake at low rpms. The fours tend to buzz more as the rpm's rise is to me this more invasive as the twins seem to smooth out after a few thousand rpm.


The Brutale's engine buzz is unfortunately the amongst the worst I have experienced as some members of the press have also noted. A few bolts have have vibrated loose and fallen off - I expected that on my Buell but not on this bike nor the odd metalic clatter sound it makes at idle almost like worn tappets on an old inline six car engine.


Anyway it's something I am stuck with so I already replaced the bar ends with heavier weights which helped a little, the next thing I was going to do was replace the grips with foam ones. While looking for foam grips I was on a touring bike forum reading threads about handle bar vibration reduction ideas and came across
Grip Puppies.

These are foam tubes that slip over your existing handle bar grips to give extra comfort and reduce vibes without the need to alter your factory grips. A simple idea that sounded great.


I order a set from XXXX XXXX (see below) and they arrived promptly just one week later downunder without excessive postage charges - thats good service. Here they are fitted.


(Update: the company I previously praised no longer ships via regular air-mail - like many retailers in the USA they choose to now only ship International Express which makes the shipping 6 to 10 times what it should be if just sent air-mail. These people obviously don't want our business so please shop with someone who doesn't treat others with contempt.)




You simply wet inside with some soapy water and slide on - takes all of 2 minutes start to finish and mine do not slip at all once fitted.

I tried them out and think they, like the heavy bar ends, have assisted a little to lessen the buzz.

They certainly are more comfortable than standard rubber grips.

These will not suit everyone - you do need to adjust to a slightly thicker grip but if you really have a comfort issue then for just a few dollars these have got to be worth a try.


Update: Now 1 year into use and I can recommend these without hesitation
. I recently rode a BMW in Japan without my grip puppies and noticed some fatigue in my hands each day that I mostly put down to not having the cushioning of the foam in place. You will adapt to the thicker grips in a very short while then forget they are in place until riding another bike when you notice the little extra transfer of bumps and vibration back through your hands.


Update: Still going fine, now fitted to my Buell in 2010


Thanks for visiting. Please take a look at the home page for Australia's best motorcycle roads, Motorcycle touring in Australia and Japan as well as more motorcycle item reviews.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

My Ping in TotalPing.com BlogRankers.com TopOfBlogs yamaha, honda, ducati, aprilia, suzuki, mio, kawasaki, ninja, cbr Automobile blogs Blogs Topsites - TOP.ORG Automobile Blogs
Automobile blogs suzuki, kawasaki, yamaha, ducati, ktm, modification motor, design motor Yahoo bot last visit powered by Scriptme Msn bot last visit powered by ScriptmeGoogle bot last visit powered by Scriptme My Zimbio
Dr.5z5 Open Feed Directory

Powered by FeedBurner

Add to My AOL

Subscribe in NewsGator Online

Subscribe in Bloglines

 Subscribe in a reader

Subscribe My Feed Feedage Grade A rated
Preview on Feedage: latest-motorcycle-design Add to My Yahoo! Add to Google! Add to AOL! Add to MSN
Subscribe in NewsGator Online Add to Netvibes Subscribe in Pakeflakes Subscribe in Bloglines Add to Alesti RSS Reader
Add to Feedage.com Groups Add to Windows Live iPing-it Add to Feedage RSS Alerts Add To Fwicki
Add to Spoken to You